Sustainable fashion and Poshmark
As I shop more and more online for secondhand items, I’ve become a big fan of Poshmark and found a way to utilize it as part of my secondhand shopping strategy. Online resale sites can be used to support your overall style if you’re strategic instead of just mindlessly shopping without any focus or direction.
How to use Poshmark as part of your secondhand shopping strategy:
- Use Poshmark to buy brands you know fit/work for you. You know my shoe story already. This is how I replaced a former pair of shoes without needing to try them on and I found a second pair of Nine West shoes in a different color but in a style I know works for me. I’ve even done this for bras – getting a different color Soma bra in a style that I already own for a fraction of the price.
- Use Poshmark to replace items you used to wear and loved. If you still have the item because you couldn’t bear to part with it, search by style name, color and size. This can be for a specific style of garment (meaning it’s the same one you already own) but it’s worn (think yellow underarm stains) and you want a less worn version. Perhaps you want the item in a new color or print, or shoes in the style and size you know work for you but in a different color.
- Check out Poshmark for skincare and beauty products – this is very recent for me. I love Tata Harper and can find certain products on Poshmark that are sold out at my local store. Look for terms such as NIB – new in box or NWT – new with tags (for items sold in packaging other than a box).
- Don’t use Poshmark for retail therapy. Poshmark needs to be part of your secondhand shopping strategy not a way to soothe your psyche. Even though the clothes are still secondhand – if they’re not the right size, not the right style or something you don’t know what to wear with, then they aren’t a good deal. You will want to ask yourself if you can wear the item at least 30 times and have items to go with it.
- Bonus – you can directly interact with the seller to ask questions. This to me is one of the best parts of Poshmark. A motivated seller is more than happy to respond to your questions. I usually ask about measurements if they’re not part of the listing, fabric type and additional pictures if needed.
Read what to do before going shopping so you can shop effectively, efficiently and for things that will work for you and your style.